How to Add and Remove of Desktop Gadgets?
What are Desktop Gadgets?
Windows contains mini-programs called gadgets, which offer information at a glance and provide easy access to frequently used tools.
Some example- You can use gadgets to –
- display a picture slide show,
- view continuously updated headlines, or
- look up contacts.
Why use desktop gadgets?
- Desktop gadgets can keep information and tools readily available for you to use. For example, you can display news headlines right next to your open programs.
- This way, if you want to keep track of what’s happening in the news while you work, you don’t have to stop what you’re doing to switch to a news website.
- You can use the Feed Headlines gadget to show the latest news headlines from sources you choose.
- You don’t have to stop working on your document, because the headlines are always visible.
- If you see a headline that interests you, you can click that headline, and your web browser will open directly to the story.
Types of Gadgets –
Let’s explore three gadgets –
- Slide Show, and
- Feed Headlines.
How does the Clock work?
- When you right-click the Clock,
- You’ll see a list of things you can do with the gadget, including closing the Clock,
- Keeping it on top of your open windows, and
- Changing the Clock’s options
You can right-click a gadget to see a list of things you can do with it.
How does Slide Show work?
- Right-clicking Slide Show and clicking Options allows you to choose which pictures appear in your slide show,
- control the speed at which your slide show plays, and
- change the transition effect between pictures.
- You can also right-click Slide Show and point to Size to change the size of the gadget.
- Right-click Slide Show and click Options.
- In the Folder list, select the location of the pictures you want to display and click OK.
- By default, Slide Show displays items in the Sample Pictures folder.
Right-click Slide Show and click Options.
- In the Show each picture list, select the number of seconds to show each picture.
- In the Transition between pictures list, select the transition you want and click OK.
How does Feed Headlines work?
- Feed Headlines can display frequently updated headlines from a website that supplies feeds, also known as RSS feeds, XML feeds, syndicated content, or web feeds.
- Websites often use feeds to distribute news and blogs.
- To receive feeds, you need an Internet connection.
- By default, Feed Headlines won’t display any headlines.
- To start displaying a small set of preselected headlines, click View headlines.
- After you click View headlines, you can right-click Feed Headlines and click Options to choose from a list of available feeds.
- You can add to the list by choosing your own feeds from the web.
- Right-click Feed Headlines and click Options.
- In the Display this feed list, click the feed you want to display and click OK.
- To scroll through the headlines, click the arrows on the lower edge of the Feed Headlines gadget.
Which gadgets do I have?
Before a gadget can be added, it must be installed on your computer. To see which gadgets are installed on your computer, do the following:
- Right-click the desktop and click Gadgets.
- Click the scroll buttons to see all the gadgets.
- To see information about a gadget, click the gadget, and then click Show details.
Adding and removing gadgets
You can add any gadget that’s installed on your computer to the desktop.
- If you want, you can add multiple instances of a gadget.
- if you are keeping track of time in two time zones,
- you can add two instances of the Clock gadget and
- set the time of each accordingly.