Little Known Gems for Your Windows Computer
This is a list of small but essential software utilities for Windows that are free, light weight and add new and useful features to your computer.
Here are some of the most useful software utilities that you want to be part of standard Windows. These devices are free, lightweight and can be installed on all versions of Windows, including new Windows 8.
- Eraser – When you delete a file in Windows, the content of the file can still be recovered using other utilities. Eraser lets you delete the file’s creation almost impossible permanently.
- Unlocker – If you are trying to delete a file (or folder) but are unable to do this because because the “file is in use by another program”, then use the unlock to end all locking processes. .
- ShellExView – As soon as you install new programs, the relevant menu gets confused and confused. With ShellExView, you can clear the right-click menu and delete all useless entries.
- Everything – Windows includes powerful desktop search capabilities but everything goes a step further. It searches for files and folders in spite of their location (including temporary files and system folders) and you can also use regular expressions in your search queries.
- Always on top – This small utility lets you easily place any window on top of all other windows on your desktop. For example, you can reply to your email, work on an Excel sheet while YouTube video plays in the foreground.
- SyncToy – One of the most useful software utilities of Microsoft that lets you sync different folders with each other. You can configure it with Windows Task Manager to run file synchronization jobs automatically at custom intervals.
- WinDirStat – Running out of space on Windows? WinDirStat helps you recover disk space by creating a visual tray of your entire hard disk, where the area of the color rectangle is the same as the size of the underlying folders.
- Double Killer – This is the only tool you need to get rid of all duplicate files including images and music files on your computer. It compares file hash to identify duplicate files.
- TCPVV – This will list all software programs (or processes) on your computer that are accessing the Internet, including the IP addresses they are connecting to. Ignore all the columns except process, remote address and state.
- Droplr – This is the easiest way to upload your desktop files to the web. Droplr adds a new option to your Windows “Send” menu and also places a drop zone on the desktop. Any file you enter in the drop zone gets uploaded instantly and the public link is automatically copied to the clipboard.
- TinyGrab – To capture a quick screenshot of anything on your desktop screen, press a hotkey and TinyGrab will keep it in the online snap. Screen capture will be online forever until you remove them.
- Mouse Boundaries – Another useful utility from Microsoft that lets you control multiple computers with the same keyboard and mouse. A better option for Synergy.
13. Catamous – You can scroll the focus window with the mouse wheel without selecting the window. Originally written for Windows 2000 but works in Windows 8 too.
- Mouse Jigler – If the computer or keyboard is not used for a fixed time then you can enter the computer screen “sleep” mode. Mouse Jigler keeps your computer awake by “waking” mouse input, so that you can see that entire movie from a distance.
- AltDrag – This allows you to move and resize windows without reaching the window boundaries. Just hold the Alt key and then left-click to drag the window or right-click to change the window’s size.
- ClipX – When you copy anything to your Windows clipboard, the previous content overrides. Clippacks preserves clipboard history and allows you to access previously copied objects from the system tray.
- RBTire – Sometimes you want to hide windows instead of reducing them in the Windows taskbar. RBT gives you to reduce any window in the system tray by right-clicking on your minimum button.
- MiniBin – This keeps the Recycle Bin directly in your system tray so that you do not have to minimize all your desktop windows to reach the bin icon. You can also clear the bin from the system tray.
- Gearmage – Running out of space in your web inbox. Use the Gearmage utility to find and download email attachments that meet your search criteria on local drives.
- Mailstore – If you want to access your email offline, use Mailstore as it helps you to download it on all your email computers or even USB drives.
- MediaInfo – If your computer refuses to play an audio or video file, then it is likely that the required codecs on your system are missing. MediaInfo will tell you which codec is needed to run the media file.
- DropIt – This is like an advanced file sorting utility which will help you to automatically copy or move files to files based on their extension, date and other criteria. In the case of music files, you can also order them by artist or album names.
- Terracopy – takes forever to copy or move files from one folder to another folder and if the operation is interrupted, then you have to start from scratch. Terracopy improves the speed of copying files and provides a detailed report in case of any error.
- Soluto – This helps to improve the boot-up time of your Windows PC by removing unnecessary programs from the start-up routine and delaying the launch of some programs.
- Sizeser – This lets you resize the program window in any fixed, predefined size. It is quite easy when you are also capturing for screenshots and screencasting for documentation.
- Background Switcher – It draws pictures from your Facebook, Instagram, RSS feed, Picasa, Google images and uses them as rotating wallpaper backgrounds for your desktop.
- f.lux – This adjusts the color temperature of your display based on your local time (hot in the day and bright during the day). It does this by calculating the sunrise and sunset time of your location.
- Zoom it – it turns your desktop into virtual whiteboard so that you can draw / annotate anywhere on the screen using colorful pen. An essential tool for presentations.
- Lockbox – Keep all your confidential files in one folder and then use lockbox utility to hide that folder completely inside Windows Explorer.
- SafeHouse Explorer – It’s easy to erase the USB drive incorrectly. SafeHouse lets you quickly encrypt and password-protect data inside a USB drive so that others can view your files and folders.